So it starts! By popular demand (ok really just my mom) I am starting this food blog. I have loved to cook since I can remember and have always tried to eat healthy. Many people think that eating healthy is boring and overwhelming. This is why you are reading my blog, because I want you to find that it can be yummy, satisfying, and simple... okay sometimes it requires some planning and work, but all good things do. FYI, the food Critic I refer to is my great Husband who will try everything I make.

Tuesday, April 10, 2012

Roasted Vegetables with quinoa and Creamy Avocado Sauce

One night I was staring blankly into my fridge wondering what to make for dinner... Does that sound familiar to you?

Nothing looked good and I didn't really have the right ingredients for any meal my family wanted. I stared at the food that I had and decided to experiment.

I just started throwing what I had into the blender and tasted along the way. I was a bit surprised at how yummy the sauce turned out and so was the food critic when I told him what was in the sauce. I'm always surprised at what foods taste good together, so when you are bored with what is in your fridge just throw it all in a blender and see what happens.









Sorry about the pictures! After I downloaded them I accidentally deleted them so this is what you get. FYI... I am not a photographer if you haven't noticed. I know I am terrible at food pictures, but I can reassure you the only meals that make it on this blog are approved by my food critics.



Roasted Vegetables


2 c baby carrots

2 zucchini, cut in half then sliced

1 yellow pepper, sliced

2 c green beans


Toss with olive oil then sprinkle with salt, pepper, and garlic pwd. Place on baking sheet and bake @ 400 for 20 - 30 min turning frequently. I like to broil the vegetables for five more minutes to make them a bit crispy.



Avocado Sauce

1/2 c raw cashews

1 T fresh Lemon Juice

1/2 avocado

1 c spinach

1 clove of garlic

1/4 tsp celery salt

1/8 tsp white pepper (gives it a little kick)

1/4 tsp basil


Combine all in your blender and blend until smooth.


Quinoa


1 c quinoa, well rinsed

2 c vegetable broth


In a sauce pan bring broth to a boil, add quinoa to pot and bring to a low simmer. Cover and simmer for 20 - 25 min. Remove from heat and let sit for 5 additional min with lid on.


Combine 1 c (or more) of sauce with quinoa and serve with your roasted vegetables.



































No comments:

Post a Comment