So it starts! By popular demand (ok really just my mom) I am starting this food blog. I have loved to cook since I can remember and have always tried to eat healthy. Many people think that eating healthy is boring and overwhelming. This is why you are reading my blog, because I want you to find that it can be yummy, satisfying, and simple... okay sometimes it requires some planning and work, but all good things do. FYI, the food Critic I refer to is my great Husband who will try everything I make.

Monday, January 30, 2012

Hawaiian Haystacks

Growing up I loved Hawaiian Haystacks and when I got married I loved them even more because it was so easy to make them. What was it?, a can of C of C soup, chicken, and cheese over white rice... So easy, but then I learned about MSG and sadly we stopped making Hawaiian Haystacks. Well, recently my food critic asked for the forbidden meal so I went out to make a healthy NON-C of C soup version.

The Sauce:
1 1/2 T butter
1/2 c chopped onion,
2 chicken breasts pounded flat then cut into bite-sized cubes (totally optional)
2 garlic cloves, minced
1 tsp salt
2 T flour
3/4 c milk
1 c vegtable or chicken broth ( I think the vegetable broth gives it more flavor)
fresh ground pepper

Directions:
-in a skillet melt butter over medium heat and add onions then cook for about 4 min.

-Add raw chicken and cook until onions are translucent and chicken is cooked through, about 5- 6 min. Try not to stir the chicken too much while it's cooking or it creates a tougher meat. I like to just flip mine one time.

- add garlic and cook for 1 min. Make sure you dont burn your garlic or it will taste bitter. so stir frequently

-sprinkle flour and cook over med heat for one min

-slowly pour in milk and broth and stir with a whisk until it starts to simmer. Simmer for about 5-6 min

Serve sauce over brown or white rice and add your toppings of choice: Shredded cheese, celery, green onions, chow mein noodles, olives, water chestnuts, shredded carrots, pineapple, tomatoes, etc.

For a vegetarian meal : I omitted the Chicken and just put the sauce over some lentils I had made.

No comments:

Post a Comment