So it starts! By popular demand (ok really just my mom) I am starting this food blog. I have loved to cook since I can remember and have always tried to eat healthy. Many people think that eating healthy is boring and overwhelming. This is why you are reading my blog, because I want you to find that it can be yummy, satisfying, and simple... okay sometimes it requires some planning and work, but all good things do. FYI, the food Critic I refer to is my great Husband who will try everything I make.

Monday, January 30, 2012

Roasted Tomato Basil Pesto on Vegetable noodles



I am not really a pasta fan, but I came across this reciep from ohsheglows.com and it looked pretty good. My best food critic (husband) loves pasta so I thought I would give it a try. It was a really simple meal and I loved the pesto sauce! It would also be great on sandwiches or wraps.







Roasted Tomato Basil Pesto
Yield: 1 cup pesto
Ingredients:
9 large roma tomatoes, sliced in half lengthwise
1/2 cup almonds, toasted
2 garlic cloves
1 cup tightly packed basil + more for garnish
1/8 c olive oil

1/4 c diced sundried tomatos for garnish

Shredded Parmeasan Cheese (opt)
Kosher salt & freshly ground black pepper, to taste

Your desired amount of cooked Pasta, I like the vegetable noodles and my kids think they are great because they come in crazy shapes.





1. Preheat oven to 375F and line a baking sheet with parchment. Place sliced tomatoes on the sheet cut side up and drizzle with oil, salt, and pepper. Roast for about 1 hour and 10 mins at 375F. Watch closely during the last 15 minutes of roasting. It is normal for the bottoms to become little black. Remember the longer you roast the more flavor.


2. Reduce oven heat to 325F and toast almonds for 8-10 minutes. My browned really fast, but I think that is because I have a cheap oven.


3. Once your tomatoes are cooked and almonds toasted put everything, but the sundried tomatoes into a blender and pulse until your desired thickness. You can save some of the roasted tomatoes and cut them up at the end if you like your sauce chunky.


4. Pour your desired amount of pesto over the cooked pasta and mix well. Sprinkle with sundried tomatoes, chopped up almonds, and small pieces of basil.

1 comment:

  1. I'm so excited to start using these recipes. Thanks for posting them.

    ReplyDelete