1 orange pepper
2 bay leaves
opt: Shredded cheese and sour cream
1. Heat oil in large pot, add onions, peppers and celery and cook 3 min
2. Grate carrots and zucchini and add to pot, cook until onion and celery are translucent ~ 10 min
3. Add tomatoes, sauce, chili pwd, cumin, salt, bay leaves, and beans and bring to a boil
4. turn to medium low and let simmer 40-50 min.
5. Cook Pearl Barley while your chili simmers this is how:
3 cups of water to 1 cup of barley, bring water and grain to a boil then let it simmer for 40-50 min.
Barley defined: It is a grain that when cooked has a chewy pasta like consistency. Barley has lots of good fiber to lower cholesterol and keep your intestines happy. It provides food for the friendly bacteria in your colon so they can do their job and keep you regular and absorbing nutrients. It also has lots of selenium which is an anti-oxidant (think good guys fighting bad guys in your body) and selenium plays a HUGE part in thyroid function!
Once your chili has simmered and your barley is nice and soft put it all together. Once in serving bowls add avocado and green onions. My food critic and kids add sour cream and shredded cheese. I'm sure that tastes yummy too, but I think it is great without it.