So it starts! By popular demand (ok really just my mom) I am starting this food blog. I have loved to cook since I can remember and have always tried to eat healthy. Many people think that eating healthy is boring and overwhelming. This is why you are reading my blog, because I want you to find that it can be yummy, satisfying, and simple... okay sometimes it requires some planning and work, but all good things do. FYI, the food Critic I refer to is my great Husband who will try everything I make.

Tuesday, January 31, 2012

Rainbow Chili w/ Barley









Love this chili! I make a huge batch of it and I will eat it all week. It has so many vegetables and is full of fiber so I feel nice and satisfied after I eat it.


1 T olive oil

1/2 onion

1 yellow pepper
1 orange pepper

2-3 stalks of celery

2 large carrotts, grated

2 zucchini, grated

1 24 oz + 1 14.5 oz can organic diced tomatoes

1 8 oz can tomato sauce

2 heaping T chili pwd

1 tsp cumin

1/2 tsp sea salt
2 bay leaves

2 cans of kidney beans or 1 can kidney 1 can white beans

1 avocado for garnishing

green onions, garnish

1 c pearl Barley


opt: Shredded cheese and sour cream



Directions:


1. Heat oil in large pot, add onions, peppers and celery and cook 3 min


2. Grate carrots and zucchini and add to pot, cook until onion and celery are translucent ~ 10 min


3. Add tomatoes, sauce, chili pwd, cumin, salt, bay leaves, and beans and bring to a boil


4. turn to medium low and let simmer 40-50 min.


5. Cook Pearl Barley while your chili simmers this is how:


3 cups of water to 1 cup of barley, bring water and grain to a boil then let it simmer for 40-50 min.


Barley defined: It is a grain that when cooked has a chewy pasta like consistency. Barley has lots of good fiber to lower cholesterol and keep your intestines happy. It provides food for the friendly bacteria in your colon so they can do their job and keep you regular and absorbing nutrients. It also has lots of selenium which is an anti-oxidant (think good guys fighting bad guys in your body) and selenium plays a HUGE part in thyroid function!



Once your chili has simmered and your barley is nice and soft put it all together. Once in serving bowls add avocado and green onions. My food critic and kids add sour cream and shredded cheese. I'm sure that tastes yummy too, but I think it is great without it.





3 comments:

  1. Yay! This looks awesome! Trying it today...

    ReplyDelete
  2. Melanie just emailed me your blog. So excited to follow you and try these recipes!!!!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Cindy! This is fantastic.. I love your blog. My veggie chili recipe is so similar!! I am going to have to try it with the barley though, it looks phenomenal!

    ReplyDelete