In my perfect world my kids would eat what I did, but that is wishful thinking. Especially with Crue. He is a 5 year old that loves to eat white bland food! One of his favorite things to eat is Rice Cereal that the food critic ate as a child. It is made with 1 c white rice & 4 c milk. Then sprinkled with cinnamon and sugar. Cure loves it because it's all white, but this is what happens to him when he eats it. He gets crazy amounts of energy then crashes and gets grumpy and is again hungry, and that is only 30 min after he eats 3 bowls. I knew I could come up with something a little more satisfying for his little body so I added some good fat, protein, and micro nutrients. The end product was delicious! He freaked out that it wasn't white and protested, but I did get him to try it and the picture above was taken after his 2ND BOWL!!! And whats even better is that my picky 2 year old had 2 bowls too. It was a major success in the Tadje house!
Don't get overwhelmed when you see the ingredients....
Creamy Rice Cereal
1/2 c white rice or brown
1/4 c wild rice (blended into a pwd)
2 C almond milk
1/4 c raw cashew cream (I promise its easy to make)
1/2 T chia seeds
1/4 t cinnamon
1 T Pure Maple Syrup
1. Measure out 1/4 c wild rice (it's all black don't use the mixed stuff) then put the 1/4 c of rice in a vitamix, blendtec, magic bullet, food processor, etc. And blend it into a powder. Its OK if it's still a bit bulky.
2. Measure milk and add to a pot then add white rice and wild rice and bring mixture to a light boil, stirring trough out.
3. While your waiting for the rice and milk to come to a boil soak 1/4 c raw cashews in some water, set aside.
4. Once the Milk comes to a slight boil, turn to low and let it simmer for about 40 min, stir every once and awhile to prevent the rice from sticking to the bottom.
5. After 40 min add Cinnamon and maple syrup and cook for about 10 more min.
6. Drain your cashews and then put them in the blender with 1/4 c of fresh water. Blend to a cream. Then add to your rice.
I still sprinkle cinnamon and sugar on the top because then my kids still think it's the other stuff.
What are Chia Seeds you ask?
I love Chia seeds and here is why..
Amazing source of Omega-3 fatty acids (good fat that does many positive things for your body), Balances blood sugar, it's a complete protein, a great antioxidant, and full of fiber. It's great to slip into what your kids are eating, because they usually don't even know its there and doesn't effect the taste.
Wild Rice (all black rice, not the mixed like you see at Costo)
Provides all the essential amino acids that make up a protein, high in essential minerals and vitamins, and has lots of fiber.
Provide you with healthy fats (they're considered the "low-fat" in the nut world), an excellent source of minerals to help the heart, and you feel full when you eat them. I Love them!