So it starts! By popular demand (ok really just my mom) I am starting this food blog. I have loved to cook since I can remember and have always tried to eat healthy. Many people think that eating healthy is boring and overwhelming. This is why you are reading my blog, because I want you to find that it can be yummy, satisfying, and simple... okay sometimes it requires some planning and work, but all good things do. FYI, the food Critic I refer to is my great Husband who will try everything I make.

Wednesday, February 22, 2012

Sweet and Sour Sauce

Tonight I made my family Sweet and Sour Chicken, but I managed to make the sauce without any Ketchup or White Sugar! My daughter LOVES this meal, and tonight she had seconds and was licking the sauce off her plate. The food critic said it was Excellent knowing I pulled it off without any white sugar or ketcup, but comparing it to the traditional sauce he said it was Very Good. I don't have a picture...so sorry. Everyone ate it all up before I got a chance to take a picture. Next time I'll make the meal I'll get it photo ready, but for now here is just the sauce recipe.

Sweet and Sour Sauce
1/2 c chicken broth (or vegetable broth)
1/4 c vinegar
2 T tamari sauce or Soy Sauce
1/4 c pure maple syrup
3 T tomato sauce
1/8 t ginger, pwd
1/4 t garlic pwd, or 1 clove minced garlic
1 T corn starch
3 dates pitted
ground pepper & sea salt

Directions
1. Combine broth, vinegar, soy sauce, maple syrup, tomato sauce, ginger, and garlic in a small sauce pan. Bring to a boil.
2. Wisk in 1 T of corn starch and stir until blended.
3. Transfer to a blender and add 3 pitted dates then blend
4. return to sauce pan and simmer until thickened.
5. Salt & pepper to taste

Tonight I mixed the sauce with noodles, grilled chicken, broccoli, and cauliflower for the kids and food critic. I had it mixed with brown rice, broccoli, and cauliflower.

It would also be great with peppers, pineapple, snow peas, and celery. You can get pretty creative with this one.

No comments:

Post a Comment