Thanks to Katie for giving me a recipe similar to this one. I love this salad and so does everyone else who tries it!
What is Quinoa? Here is some info on this super grain..
Quinoa is an excellent source of PROTEIN and unlike other grains, is not missing the amino acid lysine, so the protein is more complete.
Quinoa offers more iron than other grains and contains high levels of potassium and riboflavin, as well as other B vitamins: B6, niacin, and thiamin. It is also a good source of magnesium, zinc, copper, and manganese, and has some folate (folic acid).
RINSE before you COOK or it will taste BITTER!
Here is why: Quinoa's survival in the great outdoors is due to a resinous, bitter coating that protects its seeds from birds and insects--and also shields them from the intense high-altitude sunlight. This coating, called saponin, is soapy and must be removed in a strong alkaline solution to make the grain palatable. Most quinoa sold in this country has already been cleansed of its saponin. But quinoa should be rinsed thoroughly before cooking to remove any powdery residue of saponin. Place the grain in a fine strainer and hold it under cold running water until the water runs clear; drain well.
Quinoa &Black Bean Salad
1 T Olive oil
¾ c Quinoa (make sure you rinse first!)
1 ½ c Vegetable Broth
2 tsp Cumin
¼ tsp Cayenne
1 c Brown Rice (opt)
¼ c olive oil
1 T Maple syrup or Agave
1-2 cloves garlic
1 ½ c Black beans
½ T red wine vinegar
Vegetables: Corn, red pepper, kale, jicama, green onions, avocado, cilantro, cherry tomatoes, micro-green sprouts
1. Heat Olive oil in a sauce pan, add onion and cook until onion is light brown (10 min). Add Quinoa, vegetable broth, cumin, and cayenne to the pan and bring to a boil. Reduce heat and simmer for 20 min. When done transfer to a bowl and cool.
2. Cook Brown rice as directed on package, when done add to Quinoa.
3. Rinse Black Beans then toss with vinegar, add to Quinoa
4. Combine Juice of 3 limes, lime zest, ¼ c olive oil, garlic, and maple syrup or agave in a bowl.
5. Chop vegetables and combine with Quinoa. Drizzle Lime sauce over salad and mix.
6. Top with micro-Greens and salsa