So it starts! By popular demand (ok really just my mom) I am starting this food blog. I have loved to cook since I can remember and have always tried to eat healthy. Many people think that eating healthy is boring and overwhelming. This is why you are reading my blog, because I want you to find that it can be yummy, satisfying, and simple... okay sometimes it requires some planning and work, but all good things do. FYI, the food Critic I refer to is my great Husband who will try everything I make.

Thursday, February 2, 2012

MAC 'n CHEESE done right

I was taking a huge chance on this one. I mean who messes with Annies Mac and Cheese. Well I came across this butternut squash Mac and Cheese recipe on ohsheglows.com and decided to give it a try. My 2 year old thought it was great. This was her 3rd spoonful of the sauce.

And I baked them in a muffin tin because I thought my kids would be more excited to eat it that way.


Mac 'n Cheese


2-3 c butternut squash, peeled and cut into cubes

*3/4 c cashew sauce* - (same stuff in the Crue's creamy Rice Cereal)

1 garlic clove

1 T fresh lemon juice

1 T Tamari Sauce (like soy sauce but has a smoother taste and wheat free)

1/4 heaping tsp Dijon mustard

1/2 tsp dried Italian seasoning

1/4 tsp Turmeric powder, makes it orange

1/4 tsp paprika + more to season

fresh ground pepper

sea salt

1/2 c Grated cheese

bread crumbs

Pasta of your choice (I used 1 c Brown Rice noodles for me and just 1 1/2c regular small shell macaroni for the kids)


Directions:


1. Preheat oven to 400. In a bowl combine cut up squash with some olive oil then spread evenly over a baking sheet. Bake 20 min then flip and bake 10 more. They may take longer to bake, it just depends on how big you cut them. (I'll do this step right when the kids get home from school or do it earlier in the day then just put the squash in the fridge and get it back out when your ready to make the sauce)


2. In a blender add cashew cream, garlic, lemon juice, salt, tamari sauce, dijon mustard, italian seasoning, tumeric, paprika, and squash. Blend until smooth. Adjust to taste. It may need a little soy milk, or milk if it is too thick.


3. Cook your pasta


4. Drain and rinse pasta with cold water. Add the pasta sauce to the noodles. Stir well then spoon into a greased muffin tin. For the kids and food critic I put about 2 T grated cheese on top and mixed it in a bit then topped it with bread crumbs.


5. Put into a 350F oven and bake for 15 min. Let cool about 2-3 min so the mac n' cheese holds its shape in the tins. Season with salt, pepper, and paprika.



*Cashew sauce - soak 1/2 c cashews in water for at least an hour then drain and put in your blender with 1/2 c fresh new water and blend until smooth.






No comments:

Post a Comment